As I have already discussed about the 20 SEO Checklist for Web Developers previously, I think you can get some ideas of the SEO On Page optimization. Though in that previous article I have mentioned the steps only for Web Developers who can recheck those points before launching the website.
But, the fundamental steps should be taken by SEO Managers. They should make an On-Page Documentation after checking the below points and suggest for any changes or addition of that website.
So, here are the 6 fundamental steps for SEO On Page Optimization
Fundamental Step #1
1. Website Pages should have Meta Title, Meta Description, Meta Keywords, H1 – H6 Tags.
Note: H1 is must for a page. H2 to H3 tags are applicable if the page has the options.
1.1. The targeted keyword for SEO should include in Meta Title, Meta Description and H1.
Meta Title should have the keywords/keyword phrases targeted for that page. Meta Description should have keywords/keyword phrases in the Meta Description. Keywords, if present at earlier part of the sentence is better. Even better to start the Meta Description with keywords, only if that is permitted grammatically.
1.2. The permalink of the landing pages should have user-friendly structure and should have the targeted keyword in it.
2. The SEO targeted pages should have the keywords in the content body.
3. Add the appropriate image ALT tags for the website images. Recommended words count for Image Alt tag is 3 to 4.
4. Generate XML sitemap, ROR sitemap Reference website: (www.xml-sitemaps.com) and ask the developer to upload it in the website root folder.
Fundamental Step #2
1. Do check for the Canonical issues and solve it
It has been described below
example.com to www.example.com
example.com/index.php to www.example.com
www.example.com/index.php to www.example.com
For SSL certified websites – For All pages http:// to https://
Canonical issues should be solved with 301 Permanent Redirection. This all above issues should be fixed as soon as the website goes live. Ask the developer to solve this issue with 301 Permanent Redirection through .htaccess or with 301 redirection plugins (if applicable)
Fundamental Step #3
1. Check if the website has already added in Google Webmaster Tools aka Google Search Console and in Google Analytics. If not then add the website in Google Analytics.
2. Create Goal in Google Analytics for website conversion tracking.
Note: Before doing this find out the primary goal of the website. For example: Contact, Register, Downloading anything, purchasing products, Visiting a page, watching a video etc.
3. After adding in Google Analytics, add the website it Google Webmaster Tools and verify it with Google Analytics Tag verify option.
4. Submit sitemap.xml in Google Webmaster Tools for index. It will help to index your website in Google within 5 minutes.
5. Crawl the home page and important landing pages with Fetch as Google option from Google Webmaster Tools.
Fundamental Step #4
1. Check if the website has robots.txt file. Ask the developer to upload it to the website root folder if it is missing. Make sure website is allowing Google to index and follow its pages.
2. Add the sitemap.xml path in Robots.txt file.
3. Basic Robots Text file looks like below –
Fundamental Step #5
1. Add the micro data / structural data in website where it is applicable.
2. Add schema code / json code in Contact information for structural data implementation in SERP.
3. Add product schema code / json code including aggregated reviews.
4. Add Organization name and logo schema / json code.
5. Add social media schema / json code.
You can check the code status with the Google Rich Snippet checker tool
Fundamental Step #6
1. Do check for the website speed. Improve the page loading time and page speed score with the suggested improvements.
2. You can check page speed and score with these below mentioned tools and take the necessary steps for improving it.
Hi friends, This is Debarup Mukherjee, a Digital Marketing Specialist, SEO Consultant & Blogger. I have over 7 years experience in Digital Marketing. I love to write on technology and SEO. I have built many blogs, one of them is Techno World News
, specially for Technology & Internet. Hope everyone like and enjoy this blog and get valuable information which you can share with your friends. You can ask me anything on my Twitter
Latest posts by Debarup Mukherjee (see all)